Sunday, September 26, 2010

Digging through the pile...


We have been home for a week now, but it seems like I am still at the top of the stack of papers I brought home from the trip.

This past week I extracted all the Tax Assessments I copied from RAIMS (Ontario county, NY Record and Archives). This included Groveland, Phelps, and Lyons. On the lists were Levi and William Dunn (Groveland). Samuel Dunn b. 1753 and his sons (Phelps) and James Adams b. 1760 and son (Lyons). Looking at these records helped me get a better idea of when they each probably moved from New Jersey to New York. First Levi in 1795, Samule Dunn by 1813 or before, and James Adams in 1816.

I also went over my records and pictures for Rhea cemetery in Phelps. This is where James Adams and Sarah Dunn Adams are suppose to be buried. Sarah's tombstone is there. James is not, probably deteriorated. Also buried here are many members of Samuel Dunn's family.

Finally, I am looking at some notes from the family files. This one from a Harry L. Dunn of Endwell, New York was in the Ontario County Historical Society files. It references Thomas Dunn b. 1747. He makes this comment:

"There were two William Dunns at Wyoming in 1778

William Dunn killed by the indians near Fort Augusta, April 1778

William Dunn killed at Wyoming, July 3, 1778,"

So, I am trying to figure out who the William dunn killed in April was. If you know, please post a comment. I am beginning to think he might be tied to the town of Dunnville in Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment