Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday, August 6, 2010

Yea, I have finished my work and now have some time to do family history. I don't have to cook dinner tonight because we are going to eat at Casa Ole where Julie has been waitressing all summer. We haven't been yet, and want to see her in action and leave her a GREAT tip! We are having an open house on Sunday for some friends from the ward who are moving to Alaska...thus the necessity of actually doing the work (yard, kitchen, cleaning, etc) before the fun (family history) today.

So...there are two families on my mind, Albert Acker and Ruth Sanders. I started with the Sanders yesterday. I was hoping it would be a quick find...but of course, not. So I am having to back up a generation and research her siblings spouses (Joseph Kinnan and Peter Putman) and their ancestors to try to get a better feel for the family of John Sandders and Mary Price, Ruth's parents.

Ruth is my new mother for Simeon Adams Dunn. She replaces Sally Bath, which I feel pretty sad and bad about. When you have looked for a surname for years and then just cut it out of the family tree, it feels pretty strange. I suppose I still keep hoping my theory may be wrong and Sally Bath will suddenly appear...sort of like my Mom's Ann Wragg.

But for now, I need to try to learn more about the Sanders family. The children (Ruth and her siblings) were baptized in a Dutch Reform Church in Pennsylvania about 1788. The family appears to have moved to Sussex, New Jersey by 1798 when Ruth is married. Then like many others they move into New York by 1810.

In New York, they are living in a town called Ulysess. Supposedly according to wikipedia this town was one of the "Central New York Military Tract" bounty land given to Revolutionary war veterans. All the towns were given classical Greek and Roman names. They are living here in 1810.

But I am still sorting out Peter Putman Sr. and Jr. and trying to mind revolutionary war documents for John Sanders. This is today's hunt.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of looking and not much finding tonight. Tired and time to go to bed. Still no real information on either where the male siblings of Ruth Sanders ended up. Nor whether her father served in the Revolutionary War or where he died. Another hunt for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I think the clock is wrong on my computer. It says 7:44...but it is really almost 10 oclock.

    ReplyDelete