Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday, September 16, 2010...another fun, busy day







RAIMS. We started the day by grabbing some fruit and bakery items at the grocery store for breakfast. Then Carl dropped me off at RAIMS (Ontario County Records Archive). I learned that Mary Jo is retiring in December. She has been in this position for 18 years and knows those records inside and out. For example, Carl asked her for microfilm of deed book 30. She responded, "here it is, but this book has very light ink on part of it. So, if you can't read it, let me know and we'll pull the original." She is very helpful. I think the plan is to eliminate her position, so if you think you want something, order it now.






Anyway, copied lots and lots of good stuff there. Copied the tax records for Phelps and Lyons showing Samuel Dunn and James Adams. Copied pages and pages from the deed index. It starts in 1789 and is different than the index SLC has I believe. Anyway, with it, I was able to find what I was looking for. No Simeon Dunn, of course, but have some ideas on tracing their land back.






We left there about 2 PM, and went back to the motel for a quick lunch. Then we headed out to Phelps. Phelps was where Samuel Dunn b. 1753 (son of William and Esther Dunn) for quite a while. He moved there from Sussex, New Jersey. We were able to stop by the Rhea cemetery and take pictures. His wife and lots of our Dunns buried here. Including his sister, Sarah Dunn Adams (wife of James Adams). I was really glad we took the time to drive here.

No comments:

Post a Comment